Friday 19 October 2012

Grip

The land forced to yield to water for jungles of skyscrapers
with anodized windows and welded greed
minions of directionless forces slathering on cement
the minions dying for food and killing in the process
a hundred other dreams.

To breathe sometimes i run away from this land piled under concrete
i run to hide further, farther from the city
i run and find the brick kilns there
and the benzyl smell of cheap plastic
i run back into my town

The city finds me there
and builds buildings, flyovers and bridges
flooding sodium lights in my room.
my curtains recede leaving me bare
to the prying eyes of a window 3 inches away

i long for my childhood pastures
now under a million hungry feet. 

1 comment:

  1. Quite "gripping" I must say. And while I have never seriously composed anything earlier, this has inspired me to - so here goes. Please bear with my amateurish effort to convey my thoughts on a related thread...
    ----------------------------------------------------
    they call it metamorphosis, but I see a lot of old things
    amidst the concrete jungle
    there is still someone vending out
    our favorite wada-pav
    nonetheless you also have chinese bhel
    and grilled cheese sandwiches now!

    the bhavra gives way to the bayblades
    but the kites still soar at sankranti!
    you may now meet your friends on a google hangout
    but chatting with them over cutting chai
    @ the katta still rocks!

    as i head to my town to find my "grip"
    i miss the bullock cart ride that took me home
    the air conditioning in the car keeps me
    from feeling the warm fresh breeze outside
    but meeting cousins after ages
    still pumps up the adrenalin as it always did!

    so while a lot has changed
    and a lot still stands still
    i look at myself in the mirror
    and find a bit of my naughty self
    still intact, still ready to take on the changed world!


    ReplyDelete