Tuesday 15 January 2013

A reflection on hate

I was walking down a crowded road the other evening. Groups of boys on bikes, or on feet kept passing by-busy chatting, laughing on their inside jokes and maybe scouting passing girls as potential girlfriends/wives. They were harmless. But the kind of hatred that sprung in my heart was not something I am used to. It was not harmless. "I will kill them even if they as much dared to pass a comment on any girl here." I fumed. My brain stewed in agonising details of the Delhi case. I was plotting how I would hit these boys who were, of course, going to molest someone. I shuddered after some 15 minutes of these thoughts. Not at how unsafe I felt, but what kind of an untrusting, violent being I had become.  
Punishment is essential for a crime, but extreme anger can turn us into beasts ourselves. Wishing death on anyone is never a healthy thought. Heinous crimes deserve no mercy but I wish there was some way in which we could protect ourselves as we meted out a death sentence. Or has the veil of civilization lifted and we no longer can expect that? Or has crime exposed a flaw within all of us, that as we punish, we must suffer. 

6 comments:

  1. hmmm...I can imagine what you or any other girl would now be thinking especially after so much that has happened recently...

    Manasee

    ReplyDelete
  2. controlled reaction towards a productive outcome is good, but uncontrolled reaction is dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point is, where do we draw the line?

      Delete
  3. Awareness is the first step towards change.

    ReplyDelete